Magazine Cover Review
Previously, my impressions of magazine covers were nonexistent. I'm not a very avid reader of newspapers and magazines but I can now confidently say I notice all the details these companies put into their magazine covers and the significance of these details.
For example, Rolling Stone keeps its consistent bright red lettering along with black and white lettering throughout their magazines. This could be due to the fact that the majority of Rolling Stone’s readers are men. Men are said to have shorter attention spans than women. Rolling stone attempts to use this to their advantage by using a big graphic of Travis Scott, who is a very popular influencer and rapper, to instantly grab their attention; followed with the bright red lettering to let them know whose magazine they're reading. Maxim’s editor, Keith Blanchard states that “‘Our readers’-- mainly young men and nearly eleven million strong—are busier than today than they will ever be in their lives.”. Rolling Stone’s vested interest is in securing advertising dollars. I think Rolling Stone does a perfect job of getting their cover noticed by young men. I can also say the same for Motor Trend magazine, which does even better for guys like me.
This blog couldn’t be about me if I didn’t talk about my interest in cars and how Motor Trend gets me reading. A specific issue must be January 2020 which had the beautiful 2020 C8 Corvette in polished silver and the candy red interior. This caught my attention instantly because this car is fast, fun and I wish I had it. American cars have always been my favorite and no offense to Bentley, Rolls Royce and Mclaren, British cars are beautiful too but, this is a perfect example of a car that would appeal to any young American guy. Motor Trend is always up to date with the coolest and relevant cars that can appeal to guys that like any kind of car brand. From pick-up trucks to Ferraris, Motor Trend doesn’t only try to appeal to the wealthy, Motor Trend tries to appeal to anyone that likes cars.
Sports Illustrated also does a good job of appealing to men because they have influential sports legends and current up-and-coming athletes that draw them into reading. They also use the fact that sex sells to their advantage with the SWIM issues that are put out. Overall, I can say it wasn’t until recently that I noticed all of these details in a magazine cover and had a better understanding of what the details meant. I can say that I will still be leaning towards the movie as my portfolio project because I feel that would be the most fun to do.
Comments
Post a Comment