Creativity & Genre

 I think creativity is very important when trying something new. It happens to be one of the main reasons why I chose Juli as my partner because she has that creative side to her that I don’t necessarily excel in. In the Ted Talk, we watched in class; Duncan Wardle talks about how work can suppress your creativity because it doesn’t allow you to be creative because we think that we don’t have time to think. I can agree with this statement because I also have never had my best thoughts at work. Wardle then goes on to use a drawing of a house as an example of how limited our minds are to what we are told a house should look like. I can admit that I drew the basic house that he predicted everyone would draw and this exercise made me start to think more deeply about what Wardle had to say.  

In the new introduction activity, we did in class I chose shoes as my subject. I have always liked shoes, and some could say that it is something that completes my personality. I have 12 pairs of shoes and they all mean something different to me and have different purposes.  

In the Gale article, Dr. Ron Beghetto talks about creative self-efficacy. Creative self-efficacy “is a specific type of creative self-confidence that helps shape more global beliefs about our creative abilities and identity.” I personally don’t have the confidence in myself to perform creatively on a specific task. On our portfolio project, I will mainly be doing the technical jobs such as editing and recoding while Juli comes up with script, plot, etc.; this is due to the fact that I lack creative self-efficacy and creativeness in general and I've learned to accept that I'm a far more logical and realistic person which isn't necessarily a bad thing. Dr. Beghetto also talks about how teachers can incorporate creativity in the classroom. I think that it's very important for teachers to incorporate creativity in the classroom from the beginning of grade school to the end. This is because, from 1 year old to 7 years old, children absorb the most information and can be taught that creativity is just as important as any logical subject whether it be math, science, history, etc.  

For our genre, Juli and I chose to use crime/gangster. The two films I used for research were Goodfellas and The Sopranos. I personally haven't seen any of Juli’s work in regard to this genre, buI've been good friends with Juli for a few years, and I know how creative she can be. One thing I would like to do is keep that same vibe that Goodfellas gives the audience, rather than The Sopranos gloomy way of showing mafia activity.  

My vision for my project is to find a way to make it look like we are robbing a bank and also throw some comedic elements into the plot like Scorsese did with Goodfellas. 

Goodfellas (1990) - IMDbAmazon.com: The Sopranos : The Complete Series: James Gandolfini, Lorraine  Bracco, Edie Falco, Michael Imperioli, Dominic Chianese, Steven Van Zandt,  Tony Sirico, Robert Iler, Jamie-Lynn Sigler, Aida Turturro, Drea de Matteo,  Steve

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

To Team or Not to Team